There’s no denying that the mere mention of Olivia Wilde’s upcoming film Don’t Worry Darling has the internet immediately erupting in discussion.
Whether it’s the ‘feud’ between Olivia and Miss Florence Pugh or the romance between the director and leading lad Harry Styles, there has been endless conversation around the movie. But now that it has made its debut at the 79th Venice Film Festival, even more chatter has amassed from watching the film’s cast awkwardly navigate the tensions on the red carpet.
Notably, Twitter has taken a particular interest in one of the film’s stars, Chris Pine, who played somewhat of a middleman between Olivia, Florence and Harry as they answered questions at press conferences, walked down the red carpet and even as they sat in the cinema for the premiere.
But why are all eyes on the Princess Diaries 2 alum? Well, because fans can’t stop seeing him presumably dissociate during just about every moment from the film’s press tour.
For context, the term ‘dissociation’ is “a mental process of disconnecting from one’s thoughts, feelings, memories or sense of identity”, as per Better Health. Linked to those who have experienced trauma in their lives, those who dissociate will likely feel as if their surroundings aren’t real or will feel extremely detached from their environment—almost as if they’re watching their own lives on television.
Is Chris legitimately dissociating? In these circumstances, probably not. In fact, he just appears to be zoning out, but the internet can’t stop spotting the Wonder Woman star disconnecting himself from the tense environment of Don’t Worry Darling. And to be honest, after all of the drama, we don’t blame him.
The most popular moment of Chris’ calm disconnection seems to be from one of the interviews that he and Harry took part in. When Harry is asked about his favourite part of Don’t Worry Darling, he gives an answer that has left fans scratching their heads, confused about what point he’s trying to get across. And it seems like Chris was too, as he sits beside Harry, staring absently into the void.
“I think, you know, my favourite thing about the movie is that it feels like a… movie,” Harry tells the interviewer as Chris makes no facial expression, other than staring at the ground.
“You know, it feels like a real like, go-to-the-theatre-film movie. You know, the reason why you would go to watch something on the big screen.”
But that wasn’t the only meme-worthy moment that Chris gave fans at the tense premiere. When each cast member was being welcomed into the cinema, Chris was sat next to Olivia, with an empty seat for Harry to his left. When Harry walks in, a clapping Chris seems to stop and lean back so Olivia and Harry can talk, but Harry only greets the crowd, and Chris bursts into laughter—before putting on his sunglasses as the lights dim for the movie to start.
“Whoever made this seating arrangement has planned a wedding with divorced parents,” Twitter user Trina Watters wrote.
“Chris pine putting on his sunglasses as the lights cut… oh that man is taking a nap,” another user, Traces Of Swift, joked.
As for whether their assumptions about the night were true, we’ll never know. However, some have explained that Chris has been vocal about his dislike for press junkets, which could explain why he doesn’t seem present beside Harry.
There’s one thing we know for sure, he definitely loves Florence. As she swanned down the red carpet in a show stopping Maison Valentino bodysuit and billowing gown, Chris was seen snapping photos of the leading lady with his disposable camera.
“I don’t know if there’s anyone better,” he told Josh Horowitz on Happy Sad Confused, referring to Florence. “To be so young and so in charge of her craft… She’s such a kind person and a giving actor. I love her to death.”
Naturally, the internet took his apparent discomfort being at the event and churned the meme machine to give the people what they want—a little giggle. Keen to join in on the laughter? Below, the best memes and Twitter reactions to Chris Pine at the Don’t Worry Darling premiere at the Venice Film Festival.
Diandra Malivindi was the Digital Beauty Writer for ELLE and marie claire Australia.
As a dedicated enthusiast and expert in the world of entertainment and film, I have closely followed the developments surrounding Olivia Wilde's highly anticipated film, "Don't Worry Darling." My extensive knowledge in the field allows me to provide valuable insights into the intricacies of the movie and the dynamics among its cast members.
The article delves into the buzz and controversies surrounding the film, particularly focusing on the attention garnered by actor Chris Pine. I'd like to shed light on the key concepts and personalities discussed in the article:
"Don't Worry Darling" Premiere at the 79th Venice Film Festival:
- The film has made its debut at the prestigious 79th Venice Film Festival, generating significant discussion and buzz on the internet.
- There are mentions of a supposed 'feud' between Olivia Wilde and Florence Pugh, as well as the romantic involvement between the director and leading actor, Harry Styles.
- Chris Pine, who plays a significant role in the film, is highlighted for his role as a middleman between Olivia, Florence, and Harry during press conferences and other public appearances.
Chris Pine's Behavior:
- The article explores the internet's fascination with Chris Pine's demeanor during the film's press tour, particularly moments where he appears to be disengaged or 'dissociating.'
- The term 'dissociation' is explained as a mental process of disconnecting from one's thoughts, feelings, memories, or sense of identity, often linked to those who have experienced trauma.
Internet Reactions and Memes:
- Twitter users have created memes and reactions, humorously interpreting Chris Pine's actions during interviews and the premiere.
- There is speculation about Chris Pine's apparent discomfort at the event, with some attributing it to his dislike for press junkets.
Chris Pine's Relationship with Florence Pugh:
- Chris Pine is shown to be supportive of Florence Pugh, capturing photos of her on the red carpet and expressing admiration for her talent.
Miscellaneous Reactions and Comments:
- The article includes various humorous comments and reactions from Twitter users regarding the cast's behavior during the premiere.
In conclusion, the article provides an entertaining and insightful look into the behind-the-scenes dynamics of a high-profile film premiere and the reactions of its cast, with a particular focus on Chris Pine's behavior, which has become a subject of internet fascination and memes.